Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Wanted: A Writer Willing to Relocate to Detroit for A Free House
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5/15/2015 at 11:33 AM
Wanted: A Writer Willing to Relocate to Detroit for A Free House

Last fall, Brooklyn-based poet and historian Casey Rocheteau became Write A House's first writer-in-residence. She loves her new home and is happily making a new life for herself in Detroit.

"When I heard about [the program], at first, I was very skeptical," Rocheteau explains. "I was living in Brooklyn at the time in a five-story walk-up in Crown Heights and I was going to grad school."

Her skepticism subsided when a friend from Detroit affirmed the program's legitimacy. She then sent in her best poems and provided a 150-word short answer essay. She beat out about 350 other writers for the prize.

Rocheteau's new bungalow, which is located in a neighbourhood around I-75 and Davison, is predominantly made up of artists and new families.

She has a two-year lease which began last November and pays the property taxes should she stay beyond the lease period, the home becomes hers.

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1....

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 5/16/2015 at 03:02 AM

I heard about this program to bring writers and artists to the area and give them free houses and they only had to commit to living there for one year and then the house was theirs, free and clear...

But who wants to live there?

Truth is, if I were single with no kids or ties, it would be worth the move for me.... but with kids? I would never raise my kids there. No way.

I know why they are having trouble getting people to move there!

I still think for the right person, this is an amazing opportunity!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies