Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Some questions :)
wogiwi
New Member (Welcome me!)

[*] posted on 7/26/2015 at 02:00 PM
Some questions :)

Hi all, I am new to the forums :)

I'm wanting to know a few places I can go to get the information I need. The book I am writing needs an expert toxicologist, however I'm unable to get information on line or find anyone who has expertise in that area to answer the questions I have based on toxicology, so do any of you know of where I can go to get information on this subject?
I want to know how a report is conducted when they find poison, in the victims blood.

Next question, this one may sound a bit "Floaty" when writing how do you make the facts about the case, interrogations, investigations, 'Interesting'?

I know from my own reading experiences that some books I just skip the technical stuff, as I find it boring.

Now as a writer I want to know how to include those into my book in an interesting way so that the reader won't skip over them or throw the book in the trash?

Tips on making investigations, facts, the case, interesting enough so your reader will carry on reading? How much information is needed for the reader?

Yes the above, comes with experience, and as a first time writer it is the reason I am asking these questions :) So go easy on me :) thanks.
Father Luke
Super Moderator

Mood: Yes. Of course.

[*] posted on 7/28/2015 at 01:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wogiwi  

Hi. I like I here.

I'm wanting to know a few places I can go to get the information I need. The book I am writing needs an expert toxicologist, however I'm unable to get information on line or find anyone who has expertise in that area to answer the questions I have based on toxicology, so do any of you know of where I can go to get information on this subject?

This help?

Toxicology <-- clicky thingo ...

I want to know how a report is conducted when they find poison, in the victims blood.

Next question, this one may sound a bit "Floaty" when writing how do you make the facts about the case, interrogations, investigations, 'Interesting'?

I know from my own reading experiences that some books I just skip the technical stuff, as I find it boring.

Now as a writer I want to know how to include those into my book in an interesting way so that the reader won't skip over them or throw the book in the trash?

Tips on making investigations, facts, the case, interesting enough so your reader will carry on reading? How much information is needed for the reader?

Yes the above, comes with experience, and as a first time writer it is the reason I am asking these questions :) So go easy on me :) thanks.

Yes, I see. Of course.
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 7/29/2015 at 12:57 PM

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you!

Quote:

If you were to call a hospital pathology lab, I bet there would be someone happy to help an author answer questions for a book. I've called all sorts of places to get info, and once you tell them what you're doing it for, they are usually happy to help and fascinated to hear your story idea.

Father Luke also gave you a great link. We can also answer some questions for you possibly. You never know who has already researched what you're looking for!

Quote:

I think this comes down to the 'show don't tell' rule. Make sure that the facts and info are given as part of the course of the novel. Make your characters speak to each other in realistic ways, have a character who isn't in the field asking questions so your experienced characters can answer them, and realize that your readers probably know more than you think they do and give them some credit and don't explain every little thing to them.

With practice, you can hone it down to only the things absolutely necessary to make things work. While you're writing the story, don't worry too much about giving too many facts and stats. You need to get it all out for YOU in the rough draft. But in the editing phase, you'll be better able to see what you can delete or consolidate then.

Remember, the rough draft is for you!

Quote:

Of course we'll go easy on you! Everyone starts somewhere and you're off to a good start and asking great questions! Keep asking!

We're only too happy to help!

Congrats on starting on a wonderful adventure of writing a novel!

[Edited on 7-29-2015 by Michy]

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 8/10/2015 at 11:54 AM

I don't read police procedurals or mysteries, so I'm probably not the best one to answer.

If you skip over the facts about the case, maybe they don't really need to be listed in there. Instead of focusing on the science behind it, maybe just the character reactions to finding out XYZ?

At any rate... welcome! :smilegrin:

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies