Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Story--Fiction but Not
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 9/6/2015 at 03:41 PM
My Story--Fiction but Not

I started writing a short story that was based off a particular scene or incident in my life. I wrote it in a strange way for me--first person, present tense... I never use that style, but for this, it just felt right.

And that short story ended up becoming a novel and basically, it's my life story, but told in a fictitious way. It reads like a memoir, but is written like fiction--if that makes any sense.

It's so strange to see your life written like that. It doesn't feel real! It doesn't feel like it happened to me, but then I stop and think, "Hmmm, that's what happened to me. That's how it... oh, wait. I wrote that! LOL"

Anyone else tried to write a memoir style book?

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
plntpolice
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: hoping things get better

[*] posted on 9/7/2015 at 11:42 AM

My WIP is a fictionalized autobiography. The protagonist is in the same situation as I am, and has the same fears, regrets and partial history. The people she's encountering daily often say remarks verbatim that I've heard in my surroundings and all the minor characters are taken from people around me. The protagonist's family members are mainly invented as are their problems and story developments, because I didn't want to presume to use my kids' lives as fodder, plus the plot needed more drama than their reality could supply.

It is strange to read it, and my main worry is that it comes across as a boring old lady complaining about her situation, since, after all, that's what I'm doing. I hope I can inject enough humor and drama to keep it from sinking into a sad mess.

When life hands you a rotten tomato, save it, cause someone you'd like to throw it at will come along soon.
Michy

[*] posted on 9/7/2015 at 11:00 PM

Memoir is really popular right now--even memoir style, when it's not real memoir.

You know what my biggest problem is? It's close enough to my real life--though fictionalized--that my family will read it and think the stuff that IS fiction really happened, and I'll have to deal with them on those issues! LOL

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 9/8/2015 at 05:13 PM

I think if I ever got over all the stuff I have to get over, I could definitely write an engaging book about the journey.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 9/11/2015 at 12:49 PM

I think from what little you've shared publicly about your story that you could really tell a compelling story--it's one I'd love to read if you ever do!

How's your novel coming along?Are you close to publishing yet?

Love and stuff,
Michy

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 9/12/2015 at 12:41 PM

I've been working diligently on a romance side project for a while now. Well, actually 3 projects. I have 3 long novellas ready to self-pub in 2 of the series, but want to have at least 2 done in any before I start publishing the series so I can publish frequently. Did that make sense? :lol:

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
Michy

[*] posted on 9/12/2015 at 12:46 PM

Sure--one of the things customers complain about with my THREE series is that I don't publish fast enough. It's been almost a year since the last one came out, and honestly, people forget and lose interest these days quite easily because there's so much more to choose from. Having several ready to go is always a good move!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies