Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trademarks
Camack
Literary Master

Mood: so-so

[*] posted on 6/2/2016 at 08:57 AM
Trademarks

Michy, I googled how to handle trademarks in a book and found a response you had posted here on Accentuate. Can`t find it, so I`m starting a new thread.

I have 4 or 5 different brand names in a story, so instead of using the TM symbol after each, I want to put a notice in the front of the book like you had suggested. How should it be worded?

Is this okay? Or should there be something more?

Trademarks are shown respect by capitalization.

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 6/3/2016 at 07:40 PM

Yes, that will work--but what I typically do is this:

Trademarks are denoted throughout by use of proper capitalization or stylization.

That way, if a business chooses to use lowercase as part of their stylization for their brand, you can use it the way they prefer, and still have the notice cover it!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Camack
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/3/2016 at 08:03 PM

Perfect. Thank you so much. I wrote the other from your words, haha, but knew it could be better worded.

Michy

[*] posted on 6/6/2016 at 06:53 PM

Yeah, it has evolved over the years as I've learned more things and seen others write theirs and seen the lawsuits that are cropping up on indie authors too.... I add the fiction disclaimer and the copyright disclaimer to everything now too and it's evolved as well.

So many people who are doing indie publishing don't consider trademarks and I've seen several books with trademark infringement in the titles get pulled off Amazon recently... they are cracking down.

But in the interior, pop culture is expected to have trademarks used--in fact, it benefits them! It's like free advertising.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Camack
Literary Master

[*] posted on 6/9/2016 at 07:10 AM

So, it's okay to use a group name (music group) in a story, too, right? It's not used in a derogatory manner. None of the brand names are either. Do I need to say anything about that in front matter?

Michy

[*] posted on 6/10/2016 at 12:19 AM

No, it's cool to use it and you don't have to mention it in the front matter--but if it's a small or indie group, they might appreciate if you mention them somewhere and give them a link to their music or something. It's not necessary, but it's always nice to do that... you can also share the book with them and let them know they were mentioned and maybe they'll buy the book or help you promote it!

Love and stuff,
Michy

Skwerly
Super Moderator

Mood: Wyatt, I am rolling.

[*] posted on 6/10/2016 at 07:58 AM

That's why I just make up things like band names in my stories.

I seemed to be looking down from an immense height upon a twilit grotto, knee-deep with filth, where a white-bearded daemon swineherd drove about with his staff a flock of fungous, flabby beasts whose appearance filled me with unutterable loathing.

Just keep writing and the good stuff will come.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies