Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: questions about synopsis
Ken
Extraordinary Writer

Mood: thoughtful

[*] posted on 5/5/2017 at 02:14 PM
questions about synopsis

I hope this is the correct place for my questions. I've completed my science fiction story and have begun writing a synopsis. I realize I must limit the word count, but doing so has forced me to leave out a lot about my story. I also realized that I must provide enough information in my synopsis to generate an agent's interest. How long should a synopsis be? Can or should I use contractions? Another question I have is, should I end with a hook or should I add information about the ending of my story? Below is what I have as of now. Any comments will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Temporal Consciousness Transposition

Imagine you are offered the opportunity to travel to any time in your past. You can either simply observe and remember or actually alter your life. Ben Tilifson has received this precise opportunity. Thinking it is a joke perpetrated by friends, he reluctantly decides to play along. Except it is not a joke. During Benís first trip, he coerces his fifty-five year younger self into speaking to a high school crush to whom he was originally too bashful to even say hello. The brief conversation changes his life forever. The girl introduces Ben to a friend that will become his wife. Realizing itís not a joke or bad dream, Ben decides to continue his travels. Fearful of doing anything else that might alter his own life, he decides to devote his action to saving lives from terrible accidents. Upon returning from his most recent trip, Ben discovers his life has been dramatically transformed. A thorough review reveals that he must have traveled back in time simply to win a lottery. Memorizing the winning numbers, Ben travels twelve years into his past and purchases the winning ticket. He returns to a life even more altered than the one he just left. He is convinced he is somehow jumping between parallel yet different timelines. Recognizing the contradiction of time travel, Ben wonders what would happen if he reverses the action of his first trip. The surprise ending to the Temporal Consciousness Transposition presents a paradox that convinces Ben he has no free will.

Ken,
kenteicherbooks.com
Father Luke
Super Moderator

Mood: Yes. Of course.

[*] posted on 10/21/2017 at 02:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken  
I hope this is the correct place for my questions. I've completed my science fiction story and have begun writing a synopsis. I realize I must limit the word count, but doing so has forced me to leave out a lot about my story. I also realized that I must provide enough information in my synopsis to generate an agent's interest. How long should a synopsis be? Can or should I use contractions?

--> Click me <--

Another question I have is, should I end with a hook or should I add information about the ending of my story? Below is what I have as of now. Any comments will be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Temporal Consciousness Transposition

Imagine you are

...try it like this:

Imagine being ...being offered an

opportunity to travel to any time in

the

your past.

Frankly, no one cares about Ben Tilifson at this point, what you're selling is an idea. So, making the idea impersonal, and then introducing a character with which to implement that idea, becomes a fluid transition.

The way you have it set up, Ben Tilifson is being primed for a whiz-bang adventure, but without having created any empathy for your character, Ken. It's like a comedian you don't know getting up on stage and asking you if you remember his mother in law's favorite mince meat pudding recipe; there is nothing familiar in any of it.

So...

Introduce the idea, and then bring in a character with whom the read will be asked to identify with, and eventually cry, laugh, dance with, and generally never forget and tell all their facebook friends about who will buy your book and never read it. Like they do with all of mine. Lol!

You can either simply observe and remember or actually alter your life.

Like this:

Imagine being offered an opportunity to travel to any time in the past to observe and remember, or actually alter your life.

Ben Tilifson has received this precise opportunity.

Ben Tilifson has received this precise opportunity. Thinking it is

...I would go with the contraction, yes: it's

As to the rest, I won't line by line critique because you've only asked for comments, and while I enjoy the grisly vivisectionist attitude of the best of the editors, this can be repellent when you come out with a picture of your newborn and some Jethro draws a mustachio on it. You can see my style, and the direction in which I travel.

Cheers, then.

Yes, I see. Of course.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies