Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: creative nonfiction Under the Gum Tree
Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 12/2/2019 at 09:14 PM
creative nonfiction Under the Gum Tree

What if you’re looking for a story that’s more empowering than your friends’ Facebook status updates? Or a story that goes deeper—WAY deeper—than your Twitter feed? Creative nonfiction (also called literary nonfiction by some) is a genre that takes storytelling to a level beyond “I was twelve years old when my mom died.” Instead, with creative nonfiction, we meet that twelve-year-old and watch him cope with the pain by playing with his sister’s Barbie dolls. It makes us feel like we are twelve years old again, and makes us imagine what it’s like to grow up without a mother. And maybe, even if both our parents are still living, we’re moved to share our own story of loss. Under the Gum Tree finds those stories and presents them in a quarterly digital magazine.

Specifically, we’re looking for personal essays, memoir and creative nonfiction stories that:

reveal authentic vulnerability. These are stories that you’re embarrassed or afraid to share because you’re more worried about how people you know will react than what you learned and how it changed you. Those are the most powerful stories because you’re risking something for the sake of helping someone else.
provoke conversation. The stories that are the hardest to tell inevitably make at least one person say, “Wow. Me too. And I thought I was the only one.” The stories that are the hardest to tell give others permission to tell their hard stories, and it perpetuates a cycle of storytelling.
examine a universal truth. Most people keep the hard stories to themselves out of fear—fear of how others will react or judge them—but once a story gets shared, we finally realize how common the human experience really is. Sure, everyone’s individual experience is unique. (Isn’t that what makes a good story?) But we can always relate to things like love, forgiveness, perseverance—you know, the stuff that everyone encounters no matter their circumstances.

https://www.underthegumtree.com/submit

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies