Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  17
Author: Subject: Melanie's Cave o' Writing - Come On In!
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 1/25/2008 at 08:30 PM
Melanie's Cave o' Writing - Come On In!

I'm feeling whimsical.

I thought I'd start my personal journal again over here... but this time on a more positive note. Reading over one of my older short stories today, I was again struck by a surge of optimism. I'm good. I'm really quite actually good. :yes:

Odd. This is the only writing forum I'm at where I am not using my pseudonym to identify myself. Makes me feel almost naked.

It also makes me wonder if I should be trying to keep my pen name completely separated from my real name.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 1/28/2008 at 03:28 PM

I was supposed to finish the 1st to 3rd switcheroo on my current novel by the end of January, but it doesn't look like that will be happening.

I did, however, polish up one of my short stories - "The Sweetest Poison" - for submission to some mags or ezines. Since my goals is ten shorts published in 2008, I'd better get cracking.

Why is my revision nowhere near completion? I was stuck on how two men (maybe three) could get a 20-25 foot boat or barge up a river. No motors, no sails, no animals. I finally figured it out last night, so now I can happily write more tonight.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 1/28/2008 at 10:11 PM

Reading a very exciting 'debate' in the AC forum today between Michy and some other person about PVs and number of articles and who makes more money (jeesh!)

It made me think about editing my AC articles. Right now, I do not to anything but run them through a spell checker. I know they could be better.

BUT.... not being interesting in a freelance writing career, I keep telling myself that writing excellent articles is not a top priority. My articles are not horrible by any means. My average PVs are going up nicely, along with the upfront offers. And the articles I write are easy. I write them piecemeal between all my other work - often one sentence at a time as webpages load on my dial-up connection.

My biggest issues? Is, am, was, were, be, should, could, and words like however, therefore, first, then, finally.

You'd think it would be (agh!) less of a challenge because I do write fiction. I do not use these words much at all in my fiction writing. I cannot cross-utilize my writing skills it seems.

Sometimes I feel like an idiot.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 1/30/2008 at 03:53 PM

Had a major brain explosion about the beginning of my current novel WIP (work in progress). I suppose if I sit on it forever and keep letting it stew in my brain, it might just be perfect someday. Or I'll be dead and no one will care.

I often wonder if I am doomed to edit forever and never finish anything. And then I remind myself that it is really up to me whether I do that or not.

I have to get one of these novels done. Last night, ANOTHER idea for a novel splashed into my head.

Sigh.... I wish I had a rich husband to pay all the bills while I just write and write and write and write and write.....

:2106:

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 1/30/2008 at 10:23 PM

Although I have been over at Helium for quite a while - posting non-exclusive AC articles mostly - I have never really gotten in to how the site works. I have never bothered rating anything.

Now, with this promotion going on, I am trying to get my rating stars up to three so I can actually earn the money for each article - $2.00 each I believe I would get based on my three writing stars.

It is VERY frustrating though! :mad: I do not seem to be getting anywhere, and there is no way to judge how many ratings I have done (I am trying to keep track on a slip of paper taped to my desk) or if they are 'high quality' enough. I am currently pumping out 20 ratings a day - spread over the day in 3-4 rating clumps.

Since I have over 100 articles to put up on Helium before April, I sure hope my rating stars show up by then.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/1/2008 at 11:36 AM

January work done.

Now I can get busy with some fiction writing again. Although I do have to write some non-fiction as well. Articles, of course, but I also have to work on my ebooks.

Roll the Dice - must complete the new section.

This is a fantasy fiction writing prompt book that I use already to create writing exercises. (I use the same idea, just on note cards.) I had one printed up by Lulu and it looks great. Unfortunately, I discovered a whole other section I must include, so it's back to work.

I also have to get going on my flea market book.

BUT.... getting "Brother Crow" done is also near the top of my list for this year. (Latest fantasy novel). AND I need to get going on short story submissions.

GOALS FOR FEBRUARY:

1) Finish "Roll the Dice"
2) 1st to 3rd on "Brother Crow"
3) Submit "Sweetest Poison"
4) Submit "A Handful of Dust" (working title)

That should keep me busy.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/3/2008 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
GOALS FOR FEBRUARY:

1) Finish "Roll the Dice"
2) 1st to 3rd on "Brother Crow"
3) Submit "Sweetest Poison"
4) Submit "A Handful of Dust" (working title)

So, it's been only one day, but I've already begun to work on #3. I have formatted my manuscript and written the cover letter for the first mag I am submitting my story to.

I feel sick.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/4/2008 at 02:59 PM

Finally got a rating star at Helium. There is some hope I can manage three by the end of March, so that is looking good for the bulk payout on April 15th.

I have decided to shoot for the stars and submit my first short story to Strange Horizons. It is a pro market, recognized by SFWA. I will expect a rejection and so will not be too upset when it comes. I have finally compiled a list of ten markets to submit this one story to. It better get into one of them, because if it doesn't I will have to research again. :)

One final read through and a line by line spelling and grammar check and off it goes.

ARGH! :34:

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/6/2008 at 01:23 PM

OH MY GODS I JUST CLICKED SEND!

I'm kinda freaking out, even though I KNOW I will get rejected from this place.

(glimmer of hope - glimmer of hope - glimmer of hope)

It's really freaky! This is the second thing I have ever submitted. The first thing was a silly little flash piece that, admittedly, wasn't that good!

Now I have to wait - maybe - 60 days. (They'll probably come back in half an hour saying "What are you crazy? Ha ha ha ha ha! We'd never publish this crap!")

AGH!

:bouncy::roll::bouncy::roll::bouncy:

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/8/2008 at 10:09 AM

Well, I'm up to 2 rating stars at Helium, so I suppose I am on the right track for that reward payout in April.

I think I have the submitting bug now. I'm perusing my other short stories to see which can actually - maybe - be good enough to submit anywhere.

I do not think my writing skill will prevent publication of at least 4-5 of them. (Yeah, and that sentence was no indication of my skill. Ha!) My problem is 'ordinary' plot lines or subject matter.

I truck with cliches.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/9/2008 at 12:30 PM

Like everything else, my fiction writing has left the realm of inspiration and artistic scribbling and entered the world of boring schedules and goal-making.

Forget the novel that I want to get done. I have to finish my Roll the Dice thing first. At least I got one of my shorts out into the world.

However, if my intention is to get 10 published in 2008, I'd better hurry up with the others. Perhaps 10 is a bit 'pie-in-the-sky' for a goal.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/11/2008 at 03:58 PM

Had an epiphany about "Brother Crow" last night. I'm starting it way too early. Since the dream sequence is rather necessary, but I do not want to put it at the beginning (don't want to confuse the reader too much!), I need to start right when Cord falls in the river and only give up the goods when he starts to get 'shrunk.'

SO MUCH WORK!

But it will be SO MUCH BETTER!

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 2/18/2008 at 09:53 PM

Had ANOTHER epiphany about "Brother Crow" today. Man... I swear I could write and edit and pick and poke and prod and polish for YEARS and never complete anything.

Bad, bad Mel.

My biggest problem is that I do not get close enough - POV-wise.

Sigh... how to overcome?

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 3/7/2008 at 03:27 PM

I just read through this and saw a whole bunch of things I was supposed to get done in previous months that I haven't even touched yet.

I'm still working on Roll the Dice. I'm still working on Brother Crow (although now it has morphed into Brother Crow, Sister Cat). I keep adding and tweaking and switching and moving.

Makes me think I should MAYBE start to outline my novels before writing. No more a pantser I?

My biggest March goals are to FINALLY finish Roll the Dice and to get all those horrible AC articles done.

250 AC Articles.

My main problem is coming up with topics.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 3/13/2008 at 08:40 PM

Well, I got my expected rejection from Strange Horizons today. What was I thinking? Submitting to a professional market first time out?

So, tomorrow I get to spend some time finding the next market to send it out to. I know this story is good. I've had readers (who are writers) tell me it's good. There is not one typo or misplaced comma.

Sigh... :2106: I shall find a market for my story. Oooo-da-la-leee!

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 3/15/2008 at 02:49 PM

Working, working, working on my Roll the Dice thing. I don't really expect this thing to sell, but I want a nice copy for my own personal uses, so I figured I'd use Lulu and offer the book for sale on my website as well.

Updated my site by the way. I like the new look, and the writing dragon is kinda becoming my pen name icon the way the funky tree is my real name writing icon.

Working, working, working on the novel critique I'm doing right now. I hope I'm giving enough info, and none of it is said in a hurtful way. I'm trying. I'm trying. The girl knows I'm not a professional.

:486:

Feeling kinda blue and lonely today. Kinda depressed. Wonder if it's leftover from the rejection. I expected it, but it's still not happy happy joy joy to get rejected, is it?

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 3/25/2008 at 07:11 AM

I'm not getting anything WRITERLY done lately!

ARGH!

Must create more time! :34:

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 3/31/2008 at 03:00 PM

I GIVE UP! I GIVE UP! I GIVE UP!

I HATE 1st person! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT!

I'm switching my damn book back to 3rd person. I don't WANT to struggle through learning how to do 1st person the right way. I don't WANT to waste anymore patience on this book! I just WANT IT DONE!

ARGH!!!!! :grind:

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 4/21/2008 at 07:19 AM

Sent my Sweet Poison short out to another mag this morning. I should adopt the 48 hour turn-around time that I've heard others adopting. Waiting a month or so between submissions on a completed story is just a waste of time.

My problem is that there are so many spec fic magazines and ezines and I don't know how to pick one to send my story to. I try to match the genre type, and of course follow their submission guidelines, but I really don't know how to narrow it down.

Hoping. :)

All the things I was talking about up there ^ - Roll the Dice, Brother Crow, whatever... still not getting them done.

I WILL be done with Roll the Dice before the end of this month. And I WILL be done with the April Showers short for the contest here as well.

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Melanie
Founding Member

[*] posted on 4/23/2008 at 08:38 PM

I'M DONE!!!! YAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

I am done with Roll the Dice! I highly doubt it is the type of thing that anyone will every buy, but I want a nice POD copy for myself and I figure I might as well offer it for sale. I think it is useful! I wouldn't sell anything that I didn't think was useful. I just don't think there would be a big call for it.

Anyway.... I AM DONE!!! YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!

Melanie
M. Lori Motley

Pages:  1    3  ..  17

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies