Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  18
Author: Subject: Writers Weekly 24-Hour Contest
Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/16/2008 at 06:21 AM
Writers Weekly 24-Hour Contest

I might actually be entering this one this time around... just because.

http://www.writersweekly.com/misc/contest.php

24-Hour Short Story Contest! - $5.00

Select this to register for the Fall 2008 24-Hour Short Story Contest. Start time is September 27th , 2008 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) central time. Held quarterly and limited to 500 entrants. Don't miss out on the ultimate source for creative stress...and tons of fun! More than 85 prizes! (When you purchase this, you'll download a PDF file of the guidelines. There is also a link to them in the email receipt.)

[Edited on 8-28-2011 by Michy]

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/16/2008 at 06:54 AM

All right... I registered.

anyone else up for it?

Susan S.
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Successful

[*] posted on 8/16/2008 at 07:14 AM

Call me crazy, but yeah, I registered. I'm printing the rules and guidelines now.

Look at me, playing with the big dogs :freak: hehehe

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/16/2008 at 07:19 AM

(wink) Considering it's a 24-hour contest, meaning, you have only 24 hours to write the darned thing, it sorta evens the playing field some... there were over 85 winning positions and it's limited to 500 people entering.

That does help with the odds... we'll see how it goes! Good luck!

Susan S.
Accentuate Writer!

Mood: Successful

[*] posted on 8/16/2008 at 07:33 AM

I'm hoping that will even the field a little, in addition to the fact that the topic and word count won't be announced until the day of the contest.

It sounds like fun, though. I like working under pressure.

I just read the guidelines. Some of the 10 most common mistakes are pretty humorous.

moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 8/17/2008 at 10:49 AM

Is there a way somewhere to pay via paypal...I didn't like that the registration form required my credit card number...I really like paypal :)

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 8/17/2008 at 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, no. I almost didn't register for that very reason - but they are using a prominent merchant processor, and it's through Book Locker, so I can vouch for their legitimacy on that issue. I used my PayPal debit card, instead of a credit card.

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 8/17/2008 at 10:56 AM

Tempting... tempting...

I'll have to give this some thought.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
moonshadow68

[*] posted on 8/17/2008 at 11:03 AM

I'm just whiney. I use the debit card online regularly without a problem, but when it comes from my bank account and not paypal, it feels more like real money--even if it's just $5.

Still, I think I'll sign up....I think...unless I chicken out....

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 01:31 PM

24 hours? humph, I am lucky if I get 6 hours alone. Sounds like fun but I will have to pass this one up.

It is much safer to use a credit card online rather than a debit card. If someone uses your debit card they can clear out your checking account causing you to bounce checks etc. Plus depending on your bank it may take a little longer to dispute than a credit card.

LaurieM
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:11 PM

Well I'm screwed on this one. I have no credit or debit card anymore, only Paypal. This sounds like a good one too.

------------------------------------------------------

moonshadow68

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by itzrissa2u
It is much safer to use a credit card online rather than a debit card. If someone uses your debit card they can clear out your checking account causing you to bounce checks etc. Plus depending on your bank it may take a little longer to dispute than a credit card.

Very good advice. Thankfully my bank is really good about noticing odd charges and putting a hold on them. You should have seen the crap we went through to make sure Thor could use the debit card in Australia :)

Morecoffee
Literary Master

Mood: Caffeinated... Look out world!

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:40 PM

This sounds like a fun challenge. Unfortunately, I'm out of this one. My little girl is turning 3 on that day and she's definitely my priority! Plus, I'm going to have a house full of people here to celebrate so probably the only time I'll have to myself will be when I'm hiding in the bathroom (and any of you with children know there's not even any guarantee that bathroom time will be alone. :winktongue: )

Jo Brielyn :2442x:

Combat Fat for Kids released on December 18, 2012!

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” ~Francis Chan

JoBrielyn.com | Creative Kids Ideas | Good for Your Health | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter

LaurieM
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:46 PM

LOL what your daughter follows you into the bathroom? Luckily mine outgrew that but the dog still thinks she should be there too. It is sort of like being on the phone when the kids are around. All of a sudden they HAVE to have your undivided attention when they have been ignoring you for hours.

Morecoffee
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:52 PM

Yep! My favorite scenario is when you're in the bathroom with the door closed and there's a little knock on the door.

"Yes."
"Mommy, what are you doing in there?"
"Uh. Honey, what do YOU do when you're in the bathroom?" :whistle:
"Oh. Can I come in?"
"What? Why would you want to?"

I'm sure they'll eventually grow out of it. My older daughter's finally getting the whole "privacy" thing. The 3-year old hasn't quite got that one yet!

“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” ~Francis Chan

JoBrielyn.com | Creative Kids Ideas | Good for Your Health | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter

Mich
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Morecoffee
Yep! My favorite scenario is when you're in the bathroom with the door closed and there's a little knock on the door.

"Yes."
"Mommy, what are you doing in there?"
"Uh. Honey, what do YOU do when you're in the bathroom?" :whistle:
"Oh. Can I come in?"
"What? Why would you want to?"

I'm sure they'll eventually grow out of it. My older daughter's finally getting the whole "privacy" thing. The 3-year old hasn't quite got that one yet!

Uh, my daughter is almost 21 and my son is 14.

They haven't grown out of it.

Morecoffee
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 03:03 PM

Great! Thanks a lot, Michy. That's NOT what I wanted to hear. :bigsmile:

I guess I'll have to start locking the door and cranking up the tunes on my Ipod. Only problem is they'll probably start to think mommy has some major stomach problems because I'll be in there hiding out so much!

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 03:03 PM

I remember working with a lady with 4 kids. She would be so delighted to be able to go to the bathroom at work because she could go in peace.

Can't wait for that day!

LaurieM
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 03:07 PM

My sister-in-law used to hide in her closet with a flashlight to read a book in peace. This kids would be running around yelling, "MOMMMM, MOMMM", and never had a clue where she was.

LaurieM
Literary Master

[*] posted on 9/8/2008 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by moonshadow68
Quote:
Originally posted by itzrissa2u

Very good advice. Thankfully my bank is really good about noticing odd charges and putting a hold on them. You should have seen the crap we went through to make sure Thor could use the debit card in Australia :)

When I did have a credit card and I mostly used it in Winnipeg, periodically they would refuse a charge usually at some really embarrassing moment. Then I would call them and ask them to explain why. It was always something like,"well there were unusual charges from (and then mispronounced Winnipeg, where is that?) and went on to ask was this my charge etc. Now bear in mind this always happened after I had been there for months and had a lot of charges that they never questioned. I said that I had been charging there for years, so how is that unsual and why hadn't they questioned the charges all the months i have been here if that is a concern?, Then I would get something like, "well it is in a foreign country and you didn't report to us ahead of time that you would be using it there." I then said. Did you notice all the gas charges on the way here MONTHS ago or all the charges since then here?""Well yes we did but we though something might have changed now so we refused the charge." I said did you also notice almost all my charges are HEREand that you have been receiving payments all along ?" "Oh yeah I see that now.Let me just remove the block now so you can go ahead with your purchase.Is there anything else we can do for you?"

This is the shortened version. That time was in line at the movies in Winnipeg, standing arguing with them in a lobby full of people. A couple days later they did it again.

Pages:  1    3  ..  18

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies