Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I've noticed that a lot of the genre forums are dead, but...
Alwoody
Extraordinary Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 01:42 PM
I've noticed that a lot of the genre forums are dead, but...

I would assume I'm not the only chick lit writer here. Speak up! Please?

What are you writing?

I'm currently polishing two novels. One is about a small town girl who makes the great escape to the larger world only to be pulled back in by a love (of course! :lol: ) She feels totally alone until she is introduced to the journals of the women who had lived in her century old farmhouse before her. The stories of the hardships and triumphs of her foremothers help her adjust to big changes in her own life.

The second one is my primary project currently. I am a HUGE baseball fanatic (go Tigers!) and wrote this one around a PR rep for a MLB team. She is assigned to shadow a problem child player and ends up embroiled in team drama while learning more about her grandma's elusive past and the origin of her own family, especially as it is tied to the game.

I know you're out there.....

Somewhere...

Allison

Fiction writer
Mom to three munchkins and two novels so far

http://www.associatedcontent.com/allisonwoodworth
andisaid
Literary Master

Mood: very happy and content today

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 01:48 PM

Tiger...That's Detroit, right?...LOL

That sounds really good. Have you cast the movie yet? Who do you see in the title role?

I love playing that game...

Alwoody
Extraordinary Writer

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 01:51 PM

That'll give me something to do. I'll get back to you one that. :smilegrin:

And yes, Detroit. I'm a true Michigander, that's for sure.

Allison

Fiction writer

andisaid
Literary Master

Mood: very happy and content today

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 01:54 PM

I think we have a few members from that part of the USA. I'm sure they'll reveal themselves to you.

Cyndee
Literary Master

Mood: Glittery, but maybe that's from paint fumes.

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 02:01 PM

I'm very intrigued by the first novel. I would definitely read it.

http://restyledjunk.com/
http://www.associatedcontent.com/user/107800/cyndee_kromminga.html
http://www.bukisa.com/people/Cyndee
http://www.brighthub.com/members/cyndee.aspx
Fight World Hunger
"The waist is a terrible thing to mind."
-Winnie the Pooh
"Before beginning a hunt, it is wise to ask someone what you are looking for before you begin looking for it."
-Winnie the Pooh
moonshadow68
Founding Member/Moderator

Mood: Trying to make the voices be quiet ;)

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 03:10 PM

Woot! Go Tigers!!! Gotta love them even when they pretend they are Cubs :)
What part of Michigan? My Mom is in Wixom, Grandma in White Lake and various other family scattered around (mostly Oakland County). To be hoenst, I think the individual forums get ignored most of the time, as we tend to discuss things in the general writing and coffee break forums the most.
I agree with Cyndee spelled the wrong way (I'm mad at our Kansasans for sharing their crappy weather). I'd read your book. That said, I don;'t really write chick lit--at least not book length. Sadly, i think some of my shrot stories fall into that category.
A lot of us get caught up in the article writing we do to pay the bills and forget to talk about our really cool projects. Amy Browne and I are both writing dystopian novels, Michy is writing a fantasy series and some other stuff, Mel writes mostly fantasy, Nancy's first novel is historical fiction (?), Kess writes a cool dystopian blog...ummm....i'm sure there are others...
Oh yeah, Angel wirtes these horror/chick lit vampire stories that are great fun!
Anywho, welcome aboard!

Michy
Boss(y) Lady / Site Owner / Admin

Mood: Pained

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 03:25 PM

I'm doing a novel now that I would call 'woman's fiction', but it's not quite what I'd consider 'chick lit', though it's pretty close to it. It's a bit longer and bit more in depth than a lot of chick lit, and there is absolutely zero romantic element to it though, so I dunno.

I've noticed the genre forums are pretty dead too.... I think that's because we have a lot of freelancers here, so we get stuck talking about that instead of fiction, but I also know a lot of us are wanting to write fiction too - so I'm glad you're shaking up one of the genre forums!

Love and stuff,
Michy
~~Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations~~

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

-----------------------------------------

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Alwoody
Extraordinary Writer

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 03:29 PM

I would call the first one I mentioned more woman's fiction, too. The other one is most definitely chick lit. I know that it's not the most respected form of literacy, but I'm good at it. That much I know.

I'm from the Lansing, Michigan area. I was born and raised in the area and even went to college at Michigan State, so I'm pretty boring geographically.

I may start freelancing, as I have a little background in it and need a little extra cash, but I hate to put away my "babies" and I'm afraid I would.

Allison

Fiction writer

Michy

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 03:33 PM

Really, though, what's respect? I mean, if you're good at it, women like reading it, and you're making a living from it - which would you prefer - making a living as a chick lit writer or starving to death as a Pulitzer caliber writer?

Personally, I'd rather have readers and make money at it!

I understand the problem with the thought of putting the books aside - I tend to get so wrapped up in my stuff that I often forget to write in my novels too. It's easy to do and very easy to get hooked on the faster gratification and money that freelancing brings.

My first love will always be my fiction though.

Love and stuff,
Michy

Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." James R. Cook

Check Out My Author Website! Read Book Reviews There or Request a FREE Author Interview!
Renamed
Literary Master

[*] posted on 4/28/2009 at 03:52 PM

Hey there! I have fun with my vampire stories, but I also started something recently that I hope to make into novel length. If you read around on here, you'll see this will be a major feat for me! I usually have a hard time even coming up wtih a 2,000 word story...lol.

UniquelyNormal
Jr. Member Writer

[*] posted on 9/16/2009 at 02:58 PM

What's the difference between Chick Lit & Romance? What are some key elements that are in one but not the other? I'm just not sure how to define what I'm writing. Thanks :)

itzrissa2u
Literary Master

Mood: Procrastinatable...wha? it's a word because I say it is

[*] posted on 9/16/2009 at 03:08 PM

I think of chick lit as being a story more women can identify with- all those sterotypes. :)

Romance is well a love story. That is kinda the main focus. Chick lit can have a love story in it but that is not the main plot.

Does that make sense?

Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 9/16/2009 at 03:19 PM

I always view Chick Lit as kind of "Girl Power!" complete with a healthy dose of feminism and sexual power... and lots of shoe shopping. :smilegrin: I'm not a Chick Lit kinda girl.

Romance genre fiction focuses completely on a love story between two people.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
Michy

[*] posted on 9/16/2009 at 03:29 PM

Chick lit is usually written to appeal to the 25-45 year old crowd, give or take, and while it can have a romantic element, romance/relationship is not the primary focus of the story. The story is usually about empowering women, women's choices, lives, day to day struggles... in fact, a lot of good chick lit revolves around a woman not NEEDING a man to be whole and complete, and then and only then does she realize she can be with a man she chooses, etc.

romance on the other hand has a primary storyline of a relationship - either the development of one or the fall of one - as the main plot of the story.

Love and stuff,
Michy

flyingbird65
Founding Member

[*] posted on 6/29/2013 at 08:08 AM

Um...I thought Chick-lit was about Chickens. Guess I was wrong again.

I'm in Flint, MI area - Yuck! Hate Michigan (and Tigers - unless they are playing like the Cubs). I was born and raised in Illinois.

Every moment starts with a desire to do something. I'm going back to bed.

Bird

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies