Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Author/Illustrator
whiteoakart
New Member (Welcome me!)

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9/30/2009 at 01:09 PM
Author/Illustrator

I have several stories written for the children's illustrated storybook genre. They are a series and I am very comfortable with their quality. I am also an illustrator. My question is: what is the best strategy for submitting?

1. Should I submit just the writing, one story at a time?

2. Should I submit the writing package as a series?

3. Should I submit writing and illustrations together? Maybe with a dummy?

I would like to consider agents first. But I would also happily entertain going directly to a publisher. I am not interested in self-publishing at this time.

David

Thomas H. Huxley : "Sit down before fact as a little child, be prepared to give up every conceived notion, follow humbly wherever and whatever abysses nature leads, or you will learn nothing."
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 9/30/2009 at 03:21 PM

I'm afraid I don't know anything about submitting with or without illustrations. Perhaps submission guidelines for individual presses may tell more about that. If you are a professional illustrator, they may be interested, but I would think many publishing houses have their own 'stable' of illustrators.

If the children's market is anything like the rest, you should not submit them as a series. Books should be stand-alone: complete and effective within themselves. If the first story doesn't do well, the rest of the series won't get published.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley

----------------------------
bralev57
Jr. Member Writer

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8/4/2010 at 09:16 PM

The first thing to do would be keyword research to see if there's a market for what you have to offer. To blindly work on a publishing project without an idea of your target audience is a recipe for disaster (and a lot of money out of pocket).

Discover great strategies for successful writing. Download a *free* chapter and find out how get great website writing jobs online.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies