Accentuate Writers Forum
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Donations & advertising pay hosting fees, forum email, and email relays.

Thank you for being a member!

Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Advice needed: The ending is letting me down.
Mollz
Jr. Member Writer

Mood: autocratic

[*] posted on 10/5/2009 at 08:28 PM
Advice needed: The ending is letting me down.

Backstory here: I started writing this story a month or so ago originally as a series of short stories about women who go through the Bosnian War (1992-1995), how the war changes them and the lives of people around them. This one young woman kept standing out in my mind when I was writing her. She was supposed to die, but she started taking on a life of her own as a character and now the whole novel is about her.

Set in 2014, Miroslava is a survivor of the Bosnian War in her late 30s. In the intervening years, she has managed to raise a wonderful son, but she's got a secret that she's kept from everyone in her life. In 1993, she was kidnapped by Serbian forces and brought to an "interrogation camp" as the entertainment, specifically to the Colonel in charge of the camp. She's nearly 16 years old (this will probably open up a whole new can of worms for me too!).

Her biggest problem becomes evident here (and it's probably super-cliche!): she develops severe Stockholm Syndrome, living with him as his lover, which he beats, rapes and otherwise abuses. Miroslava soon gets pregnant, but he's carted off to jail for war crimes a few months after the baby is born. She moves in with her aunt, finds her brother and believes that she will be living happily ever after- no one being any the wiser about her time with the Colonel.

The Colonel's assistant informs Miroslava (in 2014) that the Colonel has been released from jail and wants to see her. She's lied the whole time about her son's father, about what she did during the war (she told everyone she became a prostitute to survive). The whole story centers around Miroslava telling her son everything that happened during her time in captivity- her initial kidnapping through to testifying at the Tribunal for the Colonel she's in love with.

But here's where she's really letting me down: the ending. I've turned over several endings in my mind and she wants to do all of them: not meet him, kill him, kiss him and tell him to F-off. I've got scenarios for all four (there's another ending in the works somewhere, I'm sure).

The ending of my fiction is where I fall down the most and why so many of my stories are unfinished. Great plot, great characters... no ending for any of them.

So-- my question to all the writers (who have stuck with me this far through the post!) is how do you deal with these kinds of endings? I've talked to other writers who have only mentioned that the ending should both be inevitable and surprising. The difficulty I'm having is that they are all surprising and inevitable: she's a very confused woman by the end of the novel.

Any advice?

Thanks
Mollz

Cheers.
Mollz

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
RobertArend
Literary Master

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10/5/2009 at 08:52 PM

(1) Upload the incomplete story into the critiques forum so we may read to understand it all better and more competantly offer suggestions for conclusion.

Bet you lay awake nights trying to decide among endings. Try sleeping on it.

Bytheway, Stockholm Syndrome is so proven by now that its usage in literature can never be exhausted into cliche....

Nancy G.
Literary Master

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10/5/2009 at 10:02 PM

If you can't decide, I imagine you are right--there is another ending yet to be written. Take Robert's advice and sleep on it. Sleep is the one thing that releases the subconcious 'right' to 'write'. Think about leading up to the end as you fall asleep. See if that helps bring some answer to your question.
Melanie
Founding Member

Mood: Writing like mad!

[*] posted on 10/6/2009 at 06:32 AM

I'm horrible with endings myself, but I'll lend moral support. :)

The only question I'd ask is if it would have been impossible for him to contact her from jail? If it was possible, it would seem odd, in my opinion, if he ended up wanting her at the end but didn't contact her the whole time. An abusive, controlling man would want to keep contact and control over her through the whole span of time.

Melanie
"Go forth boldly in the direction of your dreams." Thoreau
----------------------------
M. Lori Motley - Fantasy & Horror
Lenora Meade - Romance
----------------------------
caribbeanmuse
Literary Master

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 10/6/2009 at 10:52 AM

well, i am no help whatsoever, I would have soooo much work published if they didn't have to have endings! I can't seem to properly end a damn thing. Help us all feel good and just kill the jerk! or better yet, let the son go and avenge his mother's torture and have HIM kill the b*stard!

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." — Mark Twain.

Associated Content|Examiner|
Demand Studio| Caribbeanmuse Blog|Betafe Sea Moss|Twitter

Mollz
Jr. Member Writer

Mood: autocratic

[*] posted on 10/6/2009 at 02:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Melanie  
I'm horrible with endings myself, but I'll lend moral support. :)

The only question I'd ask is if it would have been impossible for him to contact her from jail? If it was possible, it would seem odd, in my opinion, if he ended up wanting her at the end but didn't contact her the whole time. An abusive, controlling man would want to keep contact and control over her through the whole span of time.

I had the same question too when I started with him. I was wondering if it was too much of a cop-out to have Miroslava tell him that in exchange for her testimony, he should never contact her again.

Being with him for a considerable time, she's picked up on a few things- that he never reneges on promises (good or bad), how to call his bluff, that he only considers things that are in his best interests- and she turns the tables on him.

She knows that he is desperate to avoid jail, where he can't exercise authority over anyone. Of course, he's sentenced to 40 years anyway, despite the not-guilty verdict on some charges (the ones Miroslava testified for).

Oh God, it's starting to sound like a bad soap opera. :mad:

Cheers.
Mollz

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Go To Top

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies